Monday, October 29, 2012

Five-Step Recipe to Feed a Crowd


I love to entertain and one way of doing so (actually, the only way I know how) is by cooking for a crowd.  I'm not really sure where this passion for food came from.  As a child, I always loved watching my mom cook and I always wanted to help.  But I believe I found "the calling" in 2007.  Single in Hamilton (let's face it, not the most exciting place) and on my own for the first time, I discovered the Food Channel.  I remember spending a lot of time in front of the TV, learning about techniques, food, tools and much more.

But one night (a Thursday to be exact), after watching a show where the chef made fried chicken, I went to the grocery store and bought all the ingredients required for the recipe. I marinaded the chicken all day Friday and cooked it that night. It was sooo good that I surprised myself!  After that, I thought I could do anything. I started a binder with all the recipes from cooking shows that I had tried.  It didn't take me long to realize that I really should be sharing this with others, so that is when I started hosting dinner parties.

Over the years, I have been perfecting my "craft" and here are my not-so-secret tips on making sure you can feed a crowd and have a good time doing it, too!

First, make sure you have a trial run before making a recipe for guests. Of course, there is a risk that your meal wouldn't turn out the way you would like. But beyond that, there is nothing worse then being glued to your recipe book when you should be enjoying the company of your guests.  Also, find out if your guests have any allergies.

Second, make sure you do as much of the prep work before your guests arrive (cooking, setting the table, etc.).  And this may sound obvious, but double-check your ingredient list so you don't have to run out to the store in the middle of your soirée.  Doing this will alleviate some of the pressure of cooking and entertaining at the same time.

Third, make sure you have room for everyone, especially if it's a sit-down dinner.  Also, find out whether your guests plan to bring their kids (or a date).  It would be unfortunate to have some guests sitting at a separate table in a corner or having to shuffle everything around so a child can sit near his or her parents.

Fourth, make sure you have enough place settings for everyone.  Paper plates and plastic forks may work for picnics, but they won't impress the in-laws. Ideally, you would want to have enough of everything to get you through the entire evening without having to wash anything between services.  In practice, that may not be possible, but try to minimize this.  Any time you spend in the kitchen is time you're not spending with your guests.

Fifth and most important, enjoy yourself!  Don't fret over details and if you forget something, don't tell anyone. Chances are they won't even notice because they're busy having a great time.

So there you have it. My five-step recipe for a guaranteed successful dinner party!  Now go, enjoy some great food (yours) with the people you love.

1 comment:

  1. I just tried that double chocolate banada bread, wow amazing; thanks for the tip. And just a quick note on Ricardo, you forgot to mention that he was so cute and charming.

    ReplyDelete