Saturday, January 23, 2016

Delicious Cheesy Gooey Bacon Mac and Cheese

As I stated in a previous post, I love cheese and I love pasta.  Although it sounds fairly simple to make mac and cheese, I could never find a really good recipe.  The ones that I tried were either too bland, or too salty.

Last year, my friend Caitlin had us over for dinner and she made a delicious mac and cheese. She recently shared the recipe with me, so as a foodie who loves cheese, I had to try it!  I realized that I didn’t have all the ingredients the recipe called for, so I made my version of it and it turned out pretty darn good, if I say so myself! Oh and before I forget, it has bacon… Who doesn’t love bacon?

This is what you’ll need:

  •  1 lb of Tortiglioni (twisted macaroni), but you can use any short pasta
  • 10 slices of bacon
  •  4 Tbsp of butter
  • 4 Tbsp of flour
  •  4 cups of half and half
  • 1 tsp of fresh rosemary
  • 1 tsp of fresh thyme
  • 4 grated gloves of garlic
  •  ¼ tsp of cayenne
  • ¼ tsp of nutmeg
  • Salt and pepper
  • 3 cups of sharp cheddar (I used Cracker Barrel strong cheddar)
  • 1 cup of parmigiano reggiano
  • 1 ½ cup of mozzarella
  •  2 green onions
  • Bread crumbs

Direction:

  •  Cook the pasta according to the packaging
  • Cook the bacon in a 425 F oven for 18 min, or until crispy (or to your liking), once done chopped the bacon and put the oven to 400 F
  • Once the pasta is cooked and drained, use the same pot to melt the butter
  • Once melted, add the flour and stir for about 1 to 2 minutes, to cook out the “raw flavour” of the flour
  • Add the half and half gradually, while stirring constantly
  • Add the rosemary, thyme, garlic, cayenne, nutmeg, salt and pepper
  • Taste it and adjust seasoning if need!
  •  Add the cheddar, parmigiano reggiano and half of the chopped bacon - stir.
  • Transfer half of the pasta and cheese mixture to a baking dish and add half of the mozzarella
  • Add the other half of the pasta and cheese mixture and add the remaining mozzarella
  • Sprinkle the bread crumps for a crispy topping and mix together the remaining chopped bacon and green onions and sprinkle on top
  • Bake for 20 to 25 min in the oven

 Enjoy this delicious Cheesy Gooey Bacon Mac and Cheese!

Photo by Sandra Najar
Affichage de IMG_3576.JPG en cours...

No comments:

Post a Comment